Erica Lucke Dean

"Making the world a better place, one book at a time."

there is absolutely nothing magical in those mushrooms!

When they say…induce vomiting…it sounds a whole lot easier than it is!

My puppy, the adventurer, decided to take a romp into the garden this evening and sample a few of the wild plants growing up there.  I was supervising the whole time…in other words…I was teaching him the meaning of the phrase, “leave it!”  

He has not yet grasped the full meaning. 

Leave it, to Indy means, “eat that, and the stuff next to it, and while you’re at it, have a few rocks too!”  But other than serving to completely set my overprotective instincts into high gear, his grazing is, for the most part, harmless. 

That is, until he unearthed a low growing crop of wild mushrooms this evening.

He had a bit off a few mushroom caps before I realized what he had, and I fished into his sloppy little mouth to retrieve what I could, but he managed to swallow two of the pea-sized caps before I could stop him. 

I immediately flew into a frenzy, scooping up my twenty-two pound puppy, and made a mad dash for my laptop to Google all things mushroom. 

There is a lot of information about mushrooms online, but very little of it was useful.  My next step was to call the emergency vet for some advice. 

That’s when I was told to induce vomiting. 

Why is it that you can never find the hydrogen peroxide when you need it?  And who knew you could swallow it?  I tried to swallow a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar once after reading about the health benefits, and that caused an immediate gag reflex in me, and I promptly threw it up along with everything else I’d ingested that day.  I would have rather tried that, but I’m nothing if not a rule follower when it comes to the health of my children (and my puppy) so I grabbed the puppy again, and hopped into the car to drive the mile and a half to the drug store to get hydrogen peroxide, and a medicine syringe. 

My puppy was not happy with me after the first dose, but he was really irritated after the second one fifteen minutes later.  He gagged a little, but didn’t vomit.  He’s better than me…I lost it on one dose of the vinegar, and that’s actually meant to be eaten!  He managed to hold down two doses of the peroxide with little more than a few stomach gurgles and a groan. 

I forced myself to be patient, while I watched for any symptoms that might be caused by mushroom ingestion.  I took Indy for a little walk around the yard, hoping to encourage puking.   

It didn’t.

I finally took him back into the house where he drank and then vomited several gulps of water, but no mushrooms.  I tried to watch for lethargy, but since it was his normal naptime, I was forced to panic at his every twitch in his sleep. 

While he slept beside me on the sofa, I continued to Google mushrooms, poison, pet emergencies, dangers in the yard, and other assorted topics that further fed my paranoia. 

More than three hours had passed since he had swallowed the two tiny brown parasols, and I was still sitting beside him, listening to his stomach sounds, and cleaning up the occasional upchuck.  I had never before fished through the regurgitated stomach contents of my dogs, but there I was, picking through the puke looking for a needle in the haystack.  Or rather a brown dirt-like cap amongst the brown mush of partially digested dog food.  And while I was doing this, my husband continued to remind me that the mushrooms may have been perfectly edible.  He picked a few of the suspicious fungi and brought them in, contemplating eating them himself. 

I have to admit, a small part of me wished he would eat them so I would know for sure if they were safe.  I didn’t want to worry myself to death over possible harm to my puppy.  But my intelligent, rational side nixed the idea and I went back to Googling. 

There are a lot of different kinds of mushrooms.

I couldn’t make heads or tails out of any of them.  The vet told me that if puppy was going to get sick, I would see it occur in the first three hours.  My husband assured me that the most dangerous of mushrooms looked nothing like the ones we found in the yard.  And I managed to convince myself that the gurgling in Indy’s tummy was from the two doses of hydrogen peroxide and not the magic mushrooms. 

Still, I don’t suspect I’ll be getting any sleep tonight.

But then again, what’s new?  I don’t have a job to go to in the morning.  I can afford to sleep in.  With my luck, the puppy will be fully recovered by six in the morning and my “sleeping in” will turn into another early morning round of puppy chasing.  I promise I won’t complain.  I really do love my puppy.  He’s the sweetest thing ever! 

I just need to work on the whole, “eating everything in sight” issues.  Why couldn’t he just eat my shoes like a normal puppy?  Oh well…there’s always tomorrow!

Until the next time…I’ll be on the all night vigil!

Copyright © 2000-2016, Erica Lucke Dean. All rights reserved. Any retranscription or reproduction is prohibited and illegal.